About Me

Hi, I'm Stephen Stumbo, I'm 18 yrs old, and a self taught knifesmith/blacksmith. All through my childhood I've had affinity for blades, probably starting with my first pocket knife. At 12 I tried to grind a knife out of a sawzall blade, and was so proud of how it turned out. At 14 I convinced my dad to help me make a forge so I could try blacksmithing. After building the forge I had a rough time getting started, but after meeting a local blacksmith and getting some tips, I went at it. About a year into blacksmithing (2009) I decided to try my hand at making knives. I started out terribly, but I've slowly been progressing to where you see now. Take a look around, and let me know what you think, you can also find me on facebook to keep up with the goings on around the ole smithy.














Sunday, September 25, 2011

The second look wip - pt2

Okay, I did this first part of forging almost a week ago, but hadn't had a chance to post it yet.

I started by forging down the tang, this is as far as I got it then.

Photobucket


Photobucket




Then, I got a chance to work on it at Bowies Hammer-In yesterday (AND I GOT TO USE A PRESS AND POWER HAMMER!!!)


So I finished forgin out the tang first.

Photobucket


Photobucket



Keepin it hot, Bowies big ole propane forge is one hot thang.

Photobucket



Then I started working on drawing out the blade. First I used the peen of the hammer to but in grooves.

Photobucket

Then I took it over to the (25 TON!) press.

Photobucket


It's going.

Photobucket



Then Chris came over and started cooking some turkey sausages, while telling me that I was a chicken not to use the power hammer.

Photobucket




Yeah, that hammer.

Photobucket




So, I started using it, man that thing is nice.

Photobucket


Photobucket


Photobucket


Photobucket



It got longer.

Photobucket


Cutting

Photobucket


Cut smaller, and profile began.

Photobucket


Photobucket




Then I used the grinder really quick to square up that finger area.

Photobucket



Then finished up the profile, straightened it all out, and turned the forge over to Bowie.

[IMG]http://i836.photobucket.com/albums/zz285/oldanvilyoungsmith/Second%20look%20wip/DSC07152-400.jpg[/IMG]

No comments:

Post a Comment