About Me

Hi, I'm Stephen Stumbo, I'm 18 yrs old, and a self taught knifesmith/blacksmith. All through my childhood I've had affinity for blades, probably starting with my first pocket knife. At 12 I tried to grind a knife out of a sawzall blade, and was so proud of how it turned out. At 14 I convinced my dad to help me make a forge so I could try blacksmithing. After building the forge I had a rough time getting started, but after meeting a local blacksmith and getting some tips, I went at it. About a year into blacksmithing (2009) I decided to try my hand at making knives. I started out terribly, but I've slowly been progressing to where you see now. Take a look around, and let me know what you think, you can also find me on facebook to keep up with the goings on around the ole smithy.














Monday, February 28, 2011

Orange handled hunter wip

This is Hunter, say hi Hunter, "ello! How are ya'll?" When Hunter is finished she'll be wearing that (hommade) orange micarta, with one steel pin and a steel lanyard tube (hopefully SS, it depends on Ace Hardware). Her clip won't be sharpened, just a false edge, and she'll be forge finished. She measures almost 5 1/2", and 2 1/2" in the handle. I tapered her tang, wich lightened the whole deal nicely, and now she seems to almost float in your hand.

As of now all I've done is forged it, soaked in vinegar, roughed bevels with an angle grinder, and draw filed.

Photobucket


Photobucket



Stephen

No comments:

Post a Comment